Do you have a set of rules in your classroom? How do you put them across to your class? How do you establish authority/ discipline? What do you do when a discipline problem arises?
The class that I am currently student teaching in has a set of classroom rules already. Student are to respect people, respect property, and respect time. Moreover, finding a way to put the rules across has probably been the most challenging part of student teaching, because I am coming into the middle of the school year and they know that I am fresh meat, so they test me a lot. I establish authority by signaling them by saying words like “ escuchen” or ringing the bell. After this, I wait till everyone is quiet before I start speaking. If a discipline problem arises, I first I warn the student first, then I deduct participation points, next I change his/her seating arrangements. However, I understand that everyone is entitled to a bad day so sometimes I try to reason with them before I start disciplining them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is best to create your own personal class rules- not the master teachers. That way you can test the waters on what will work for you. If you just do what the master teacher has you are basically "subbing" in that class and don't truly take full ownership of it.
ReplyDelete