If a student is consistently late to your class, how would you handle the situation? How do you give your students recognition? Do you think a student can have too much recognition?
If a student is consistently late to class, I would address the issue by first giving him/her a verbal warning.If the problem continues, I will speak with them and to try and find the reason for their tardiness. By doing this, maybe I can help resolve the issue. If these two methods don’t work, I will issue a detention. Lastly, I will contact their parents.
When it comes to student recognition, I have to say that I tend to forget to do this often, but when I do remember, I complement them verbally. I say things like, “muy bien “ or “exelente” when they do a good job on their warm-ups. I also give extra participation points, which I notice students tend to really enjoy. However, the way I give them recognition really depends on what we are doing in class, because if the students are in groups and are playing a games, I hand out candy to the wining teams.
Moreover, I believe that students can have too much recognition, which can cause problems. First, it could devalue the rewards I hand out, and students will lose interest in trying to earn them. Plus, it will create unnecessary expectations. They will expect to get a reward every time they finish a task or ask a question.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think the key to success in any classroom is based on balance. There needs to be discipline, clear expectations, hard work and positive reinforcement. When any one of these are missing things get "off kilter" so to say and the unbalance shows in a number of ways. Sometimes students act out. Other times they may not turn in assignments. Perhaps too much positive reinforcement makes them expect praise for every assigned task. So, I agree, Debbie with what you have said and what you do in class. Your students react well to extra participation points and verbal warnings. I have yet to see you give a detention, but I think you should do so if things get really out of hand (as they sometimes do in period 3). I know you mentioned candy, but another great show of praise is by handing out simple homework passes that you can create on your computer. Students cherish these and use them when they really need to. Worth a try! As for the tardiness topic, I think you covered that very well. In all the times that I have observed you I haven't seen that as a problem. If it were one though, your steps in handling it are appropriate. I have found that by contacting the parents (and not necessarily administrators) the tardiness problem gets resolved quicker because it is also being dealt with at home. I know it takes time out of your day to call parents at home or work, but that communication is well worth it. My first year teaching was at Western Christian and I remember once taking an entire planning period to call parents of students who misbehaved. What a difference the next day in class! Wow! The same can be said about making phone calls or sending notes home with praise. What parent doesn't love to hear that about their child?
ReplyDeleteIt is important to get to know your students so you know the reasons behind any "issues". It is also important to be specific in the types of praise you give. If it is general praise all the time it doesn't really have the same effect.
ReplyDelete