Saturday, June 12, 2010

Gifted Student

How do you handle a child who seems gifted, but is a discipline problem?

If I had a gifted child in my class who was a discipline problem, I would assume that he/she is bored because I am not challenging them enough. I would need to make some special changes to my lesson plans in order to keep them engaged. I can relate to this story because I am currently teaching honors Spanish, and I notice that the students get bored when I am not challenging them enough mentally. I know this because they look uninterested and the start chatting with each other. When this happens, I know that I have to change what I am doing quickly and give them something more challenging. I have to give them an assignment that will make them think out of the box, but it has to be an activity that they will enjoy. In addition, I have learned that the activity they do cannot be longer than fifteen minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment